Revising Plans

After receiving some great feedback this week from Professor Tougaw, Michelle, and Francesca, I think I have a pretty clear plan of attack for the next few weeks. Following their suggestions, the first thing I am going to do is find some new and different sort of voices for my ballroom. This should not be too hard as I already have my hands on some that I will most likely be adding over the next couple of weeks. The next thing I will need to work on will be finding a better framework for how I introduce each new primary source. I can do this by technique, as Professor Tougaw has suggested, or perhaps follow Michelle’s advice and find a way to make the current framework I have work for me. I think that if the framework is doing something for me and helping me advance my thesis, then it would be okay to keep. I just need to make a choice there. I think that choice will be easier to make once I have a couple more people in my ballroom to play around with. Another thing I would like to do is interact more with other plays besides Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. I feel like my voice was strongest there, and I would like that to come out more with the other plays. The last thing I would really put on my “to do” list would be to make certain claims that I have made, which I know are vague, regarding mental illness stronger. I can do this by rooting them in sources, but I need to find a way to do this that does not feel like I am letting everyone else do all the talking for me.

I think after I do all this, I can begin to move on to expanding on what I already have. I think after adding my new sources, interacting more with primary sources, reworking my framework, and expanding on what I have I should be pretty close to my page count (and exhausted). I think coming back to workshop with everyone at this point would probably be exactly what I need to do to get myself back on stable ground and finish polishing the paper. I would like to come back in the spring with 20 pages to work with so we’ll see how it goes! I’m very excited about the project and to see what it becomes as I continue to write and tweak it. Thanks so much for all the wonderful and super helpful feedback, everyone!

1 comment

1. Hey Caitlin! Sorry for the late comment. We weren’t group mates from the start so I wasn’t around for the early working out of your paper. But I’m glad we’re in the same group now and I hope to do the best I can to help you. Based on what you noted here, you had a specific set of plans for your draft and it seems you did most of them from our discussion in the workshop. I have not read your paper just yet but I hope to give you specific and useful feedback.

Comments have been disabled.